Let’s do it!
- Finish a game. It’s gonna happen OK! I may even make two this year!
- Contribute to a large open-source project.
- Move out of the home I’ve known for overs 18 years.
- Get a job at a games company or tech company.
- Read the Bible. I’m following my Church’s plan and I’m already almost done with Genesis. I think I’ll do this every year from now on.
- Go skydiving. I started thinking about it last year with intentions to do it this year, and this year is here.
- Complete every project I have up in the air at this point. That means the three website re-designs I’ve been tasked with, Modern Forum v1, Project Gforum v3 (finally), and 4kg (related to the first one). And a re-design for this blog, but that’s a given.
- Get at least 50% conceptual work done on Project E. Right now it’s about 5%. I want to at least have something showable for this in 2012, and hopefully actually do it by the end of 2013.
As always, there’s some leftovers from last year. But I feel good about these. I have actual plans in place to accomplish these goals, and in the case of moving out and getting a job, those are both being triggered by my finishing college. Since I will no longer be chained down by school, I’ll have to do something with my time. And a job is exactly what I will do to fill that time, and getting a job like the ones I have in mind will require moving. So those two at least have definable, real triggers that should set the ball in motion.
Some of them, like me learning new tech or contributing to open source, should come naturally to me, but it’s nice to have that push here as well. Reading the Bible is something I’ve always wanted to do, and should have done by now, but I was finally pushed over the edge by my Church issuing a reading plan. After almost seven short years as a believer, it’s time I be completely transformed by the renewing my mind. I’m thinking maybe this is the year I finally choose to be baptized, as well.
The final couple points are a reversal of last year’s “cut back on projects.” This year, I’m going to say “screw that!” I need to take on as many projects as possible if I ever want to learn anything, and have anything to show for myself.
So that’s that. It’s time for me to finally step forward from the childhood behind me and walk boldly into 2011 as an adult, confident and humble.